Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 18:30

Happy Flag Day 2011!!  Day #2 of work is in the books and what a great day it was.  I listened to calls all day long today and I really learned a lot.  I have to learn a lot as training is only 2 weeks long, so we are technically 20% complete with training.  I will have one more day of listening to calls on Wednesday, and then hopefully will drive the computers while my trainer talks Thursday and Friday, then I hope to talk while my trainer drives Monday and Tuesday, and then talk and drive Wednesday-Friday next week while the trainer watches and listens.  I will be thrown out to the wolves on Monday, June 27, 2011.

I did find out something cool for the 4th of July.  Since it is a holiday, it will be voluntary working that day, so if I work, I will get that day's regular pay plus holiday pay which is an extra 8 regular hours on top of the regular pay.  So, in essence I will be getting paid for 48 regular hours on the week's paycheck while will be doled out on Friday, July 15.  Same will, of course, go for Labor Day.  I will most likely volunteer on the 4th of July because I've had enough days off the past 10 1/2 months.  I want to work!!  I can't say for sure about Labor Day, yet, since that is 2 1/2 months away, but as of right now I plan on working that day.

Right now, and for the next month to month and a half until about August 1, I will be taking calls for a hospital complex in Minneapolis.  Starting in late July or early August, I will be transferring to taking calls for MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I have also been told that while Dell was, and is, very slow to hire, they are very quick to advance people once they are on board.  I am on a 9-month contract-to-hire, but 9 months (270 days) is just the maximum that the contract can go.  I can be hired on to Dell badge as early as 5 or 6 months.  I've heard great things about the pay, too!!

I also found out why Dell is notoriously slow.  The government is involved in the hiring process, and the government has never been known for speed.  One gal who was hired on directly with Dell, applied last June and didn't start until November, a full 5 months.  I 'only' had to wait 2 1/2 months.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far, and I don't forsee it being too difficult.  It's a keeper!!

No comments:

Post a Comment